Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Bit About Me

Welcome to my See The Forest blog. My hope is that this blog will help to stir some discussion regarding timely political, economic, and social issues affecting our great country and investigate possible solutions to our most pressing problems.

My basic philosophy is that life really isn't as difficult as we make it. I am a "forest for the trees" kind of guy. There is so much noise coming from traditional media sources, let alone new media internet sources, that we often can't see the basic issues standing before us. Let's deconstruct politics, economics, and cultural issues. Let's find the basic issues involved. And let's find the best way forward.

A bit about me: I am proud to be a married father of two great kids. I am gainfully employed as a commercial airline pilot. I am a 1992 graduate of the US Naval Academy with a B.S. degree in Political Science and a 1996 graduate of Oklahoma City University with a M.B.A. in Finance. I am a former Naval Aviator having served 9 years on active duty. Politically, economically, and socially I am a conservative. I consider myself a traditionalist. I derive great strength from my catholic faith and strive, while often falling short, to live up to my religious tenets.

There are a few principles by which I live my life:

1. "Do what is right, because it is right."
2. 50-50-90 Principle (You have a 50-50 chance of getting it right. 90% of the time you get it wrong)
3. Castanza Corollary (Whatever your instincts tell you to do, do the opposite and it will turn out right)

The first one is tough. The second and third, they work every time.

3 comments:

duhpippa said...

oh yes, that's you all right. no doubt about that. i love it :)

i don't know myself as well as you do and i am scattered all over the board when it comes to politics.

i do agree that everybody should do what is right, because it's the right thing to do. it's the simplest way to live, if you ask me.

and i think it's okay to be wrong as long as the intentions are good. it's how you learn and it's a great teaching tool for others.

as for instinct...i follow mine and it hasn't failed me yet. but i operate on pure emotion and intuition, so it may just be a matter of personality on that one. i never do the opposite of what my gut tells me; life is about living to me - experiencing, being, understanding, accepting, helping, loving - and my gut always leads me in that direction.

it makes me laugh at how different we are, you know. where did you grow up again?

stay gold :)

Sean G. Owens said...

I follow my instincts...It's just that I then do the opposite. Works great!

duhpippa said...

you know, you really should run for office...